Building information modeling (BIM) software enables mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) engineers to more efficiently coordinate design data, minimize errors, highlight potential areas of conflict before construction, and enhance collaboration with engineering and architecture teams.
R.E. Dimond and Associates has built a reputation around the Midwest for delivering high-quality work on schedule and budget. Our team gets construction projects back on schedule after they have already experienced delays.
A key part of our strategy for keeping construction projects moving forward, on time, and on budget is our BIM process. Using BIM modeling services powered by Autodesk Revit and AutoCAD, we can help general contractors, architects, and building owners better understand their projects, construction sequencing, asset management, and project design. BIM also helps our internal teams develop time and cost estimates.
Use BIM Modeling to develop fixture-specific plans of new and existing buildings
BIM modeling services and technology can push your project forward through:
- Developing lighting calculations to determine the right fixtures, placement, and energy costs for your building.
- Utilizing Hourly Analysis Programs (HAP) to determine the precise mechanical load of building systems.
- Creating Helioscope models to identify the utility, placement, and power output of solar panels.
BIM modeling can also help clients and projects by combining 3D CAD models plus your scheduling and budget needs. With better plans and models, all parties involved—from construction managers to architects to owners—understand the project’s demands today and throughout the construction process. These models can also be reused later as rooms or areas are repurposed for new uses in the future.
Case Study of BIM Services Impact on a Renovation Project:
Indiana State University – Pickerl Hall
Located on Indiana State University’s Terre Haute campus, the complete renovation of Pickerl Residence Hall included adding 120 private baths to the 1960’s facility. With only twelve inches of clearance above ceilings, coordination of MEP systems was critical to prevent interference during construction.
Together with the architect and campus teams, our engineers and designers accurately modeled each restroom group using BIM software to ensure proper clearances between systems and maximize installation efficiency.
The contractor used this model and information to assemble the piping off-site. They were able to install it into the facility quickly and easily, streamlining the construction process.
BIM has more advantages for your project:
- You see the estimated expenses of a project during each stage of construction.
- You can visualize a building, site selection, and design elements at scale. We can also help architects improve rendering details by modeling specific equipment rather than generic systems.
- Guarantee your adherence to data standards, contract documents, and ensure compliance with best practices.
- Your team members and clients will save time and resources by avoiding costly mistakes and mitigating risk before it becomes a problem.
- With a greater understanding of the project’s building information model and functional characteristics, you will reduce energy consumption from MEP equipment and building systems.
- Get better outcomes, improved collaboration, and data sharing between contractors, architects, engineering teams, and owners.
- See a detailed analysis of various building systems, such as circuitry, light levels, temperature controls, LEED points, projected energy savings, and a project’s carbon footprints.
Additional BIM Services available for your projects
- Architects can handle clash detection from a ready-to-import file
- 3D Scan-to-BIM and Point Cloud-to-BIM
- BIM coordination and BIM information management certification (ISO19650)
- 3D, 4D, 5D, and 6D BIM incorporating scheduling, cost estimation, sustainability, and facility management information.