Originally built in 1912, the building has over a century of history at 10th and Capitol Streets in Downtown Indianapolis. Originally home to the Stutz Motor Company, the vehicles rolled through the assembly line floors and up and down massive freight elevators that are still in use today. Auto production stopped in 1934 and the Stutz company closed entirely in 1937.
For fifty years starting in 1940, Eli Lilly and Company used all of the building’s 400,000 square feet for warehouse and distribution. They vacated the space in 1982 and the building sat dormant for a decade until being restored by Turner Woodard in 1993. Most Indianapolis residents know the Stutz as an artist and commercial space, with hundreds of small and mid-size offices, its annual Stutz Art Show, and annual Christmas Art Show.
The Stutz is currently under construction and in-use
R.E. Dimond and Associates is providing MEP design for tenants on the ground floor, including a restaurant, bakery, and co-working spaces. The four-story Stutz building is being fully renovated across all floors with new mechanical systems, plumbing, heating and cooling, and telecommunications networks.
The building is in-use by several pre-existing and new tenants in smaller spaces throughout the facility. A completed car museum in the repurposed loading dock is open and has been hosting regular pop-up shops and events.
Completion is expected in 2023.