Posted on June 6, 2023
Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) engineers consulting on a project have an outside ROI through energy efficiency, resource savings, reduced change orders, and optimized processes for building projects. Plus, MEP consultants minimize construction costs by helping teams tackle tough challenges with the right expertise and bring projects to an early completion date.
Lower energy consumption and improved energy efficiency makes huge gains
Building owners and organizations seeking a return on investment for what may seem like “nice to have” solutions like solar or geothermal energy might be surprised at how cost-effective they can be in the right environment.
Any business knows you need to find higher profits, reduce extra costs (or both), to improve the bottom line. Frequently our engineers find a facility can lower its utility bills by introducing practical engineering solutions like low-flow water faucets, LED lighting, sensor-activated controls, and other high-efficiency equipment. They comply with federal regulations on resource usage and help communities meet sustainability goals and maintain occupant comfort.
Advanced building modeling can show you how you can expect to save money over ten, twenty, or thirty years on the upfront construction cost of a larger system—such as a roof-mounted solar array.
A local market’s energy costs matter in energy discussions. In Indiana, our energy costs are relatively cheap, but there are costs in environmental impact. The majority of electricity generated is through the use of coal-fired power plants.
Our professional advice to an office building, public space, school, or other facility comes from careful consideration of the building’s use, location, and a host of other factors. Hiring MEP consulting engineers is as much to do with knowing the risk of different types of systems as the benefits.
Because we have no direct ties to the construction industry or other professional services beyond good working relationships with architects and trade contractors, our engineering design teams have no incentive to overload projects with expenses you don’t need.
For instance, our MEP consulting engineers can help you:
- Choose the right HVAC system that saves energy, provides precise thermal comfort, and is environmentally friendly.
- Reduce expenses on lighting bills, which accounts for about 10% of all the electrical use in the U.S. Wasting energy does no one any good. An MEP consultant can increase natural daylighting during your building operation, lower costs on your light bill, and potentially return some energy to the grid in your local market.
- Saving water in plumbing systems, including water systems like fire suppression, sewer and stormwater outflow, and wastewater systems. Efficient use of water resources goes beyond sinks and drinking fountains!
- Energy-efficient buildings go beyond the use of LED light bulbs to larger energy-consuming equipment, like HVAC systems, refrigeration, and industrial machines.
- Increase safety throughout your building beyond the security officer or door locks. Our team understands new technology, like air filtration and UV air sanitation systems—which can help reduce the spread of airborne illnesses. A building with healthier air leads to healthier employees, reduced sick time, and improved value.
Keep construction projects under control with better construction methods
The construction techniques used during building renovations and new construction can also reduce operating costs and improve cost savings. For instance, using pre-fabricated or modular systems can make installation faster, future repairs easier, and still be high quality.
The design process introduces several ways for experienced MEP engineers to reduce the initial construction costs. Abraham Lincoln once remarked, “If I only had an hour to chop down a tree, I would spend the first 45 minutes sharpening my axe.” That line of thinking applies well to the construction industry, where strategic planning ensures no one wastes time on MEP systems that don’t fit in a space, aren’t the best option, or just don’t bring value for the money.
The scope of your construction project is always limited by time, money, or both. Our engineering teams specialize in building projects that are on schedule and under budget.
Reduce your construction costs and improve your project ROI with R.E. Dimond and Associates
Before you start your next building project, contact us to talk about your goals and options. We can help you and your team discover new equipment, options, and resource-saving opportunities.