Building Project Summary:
R.E. Dimond and Associates designed the mechanical and electrical improvements to the Moench Hall boiler plant. Moench Hall is the first academic building built when the university moved to its current location east of Terre Haute in 1922.
The mechanical design includes replacing the existing steam boilers with high-efficiency gas-fired boilers. Steam distribution piping was repurposed to transport hot water for heating to Moench Hall and two adjacent buildings – Crapo Hall and Myers Hall.
The electrical design included two identical diesel generators and distribution systems accomplishing a completely redundant standby system. The redundant electrical systems serve the main telephone room in Moench Hall and the main data center in Crapo Hall, as well as the emergency lighting requirements for the buildings.